Monday, September 14, 2009

Decent Driving Dude

Stuck in traffic jam for hours, having no choice but drive through the dust/smoke filled air, fed up of the irritating bad habits of other fellow drivers?

Those who have not experienced this at least once when living in Hyderabad can raise your hands. Well, I don’t see a single hand. Meaning is that, we all go through this every day. What do we do for it? Just curse the government. Shout at the auto-rickshaw driver "the bloody illiterate". Call the ancestors of that rash driving APSTRTC bus driver "b****" and what not. Shouting "stupid country fellows" at those who cross the road while the signal is green. In any way are you helping yourself to get any better? In any sense? No to the core.

Well, so..why not doing something? Something small but better than nothing? Something better than the disgusting dialogues which goes in vain but gets into your veins in the form of hyper tension? Something to make the proverbs even more worthy?

Hereby I put my little drop of water. We have a lake to fill. Come let us at least fill a bucket. This is what I think about. I work for a software company in hi-tech city in Hyderabad. In my company at least 50 people are coming by their own transport modes like me. Rest rely on the company transport. I have observed that 80% of those who come on their own vehicles do not use the proper indicators when turning left or right. 50% of them don't mind jumping a red signal. 100% think it is absolutely fair to go on wrong side for small distance instead going that far to take a U turn. I plan to spread a ”Decent Driving Dude" awareness in my company and if at least 1% follows what it means I would be happy. If in another 5 companies at least 10 people start to follow the DDD(Decent Driving Dude) attitude that makes a huge difference. They will talk, they will act. I am sure that at least one person will be impacted every day.

This campaign will spread the awareness. While driving on the road, if I am about to cross a small junction with no signal, if I see another person coming from the right side to go to my left side, and if he is a known person to me, I would obviously not compete with him to go first. Rather I would smile at him and would allow him to go first. This means that we are all not bad always. We know to be good too. And we most of the time want to remain good. So at least when you see another DDD on the road you automatically becomes a DDD. The more DDDs in town the more decent is the road. Howzaaat??

I am going to try this in my company with the help of my dear colleagues. Why not you doing the same in your company. If you are in Hyderabad let us all meet informally and I will give you guidelines to get this effectively done. Let us all have a safe and smooth road rides.

No comments:

Kunju

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers