Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Oh! My Name!

What is the question you have come across with the most in your life? I think it would be "What is your name?". In my case, another question follows when I say my name. So for me there are 2 questions I have faced most in my life. The second question comes with a perplexed expression on their face and the question is "What does it mean?" Can't blame them for their curiosity as they would be hearing the name "Bhaimi" for the first time. They ask it twice,say it twice to ensure they pronounce it correctly and then the question "What is the meaning of Bhaimi?" comes. Aaaha.. I knew this question would come and I'm ready with the twenty five thousand two hundred and forty first repetition of my name's history. I tap the play button.

"Bhaimi is actually the name of a Hindu Purana character. Her Actual name is Damayanthi. You might have heared of Nala-Damayanthi and their love story. Damayanthi's father's name was Bhimasena and thus she has this name "Bhaimi" .It is like "Bhim ki beti-Bhaimi".

(Water pleaseeeeeeeee.....)

Then comes the next comment "Oh.. that's why you eat like Bhima..ha ha". Now I have to stop them and explain- "my dear friend, I'm sorry about your ignorance, but it is not that Bhima in Mahabharata i'm talking about. This is a different Maharaja, whose name also was Bhimasena".

This story telling sessions occur mostly during my travels. Especially train travels from kerala when I have the luxurious 24 hours to explain my name's origin. But there were incidents to my surprise when the other person explains the story better than I do. One such incident was when I was travelling to Kerala from Hyderabad few years back and a family consisting of an elderly lady, her daughter and husband, grand daughter and great grandson shared the coach with me. I remember that they belong to the famous Moos family in Pulamanthole. When I said my name the elderly lady exclaimed and said "Nice Name!". Then she went ahead to add the Bhim ki Beti story by herself to admire my name and complimented me for having a princess's name. Interestigly the elderly lady's great grand son's name was"Angirassu". I was happy when he said his name as very rarely I get a chance to hear somebody elses 'name story'. Though I knew that Angirassu is a name of one old Rishi in Hindu Mythology I loved to hear him explaining it with pride. He was only 10 years old, I'm sure this enthusiasm to tell his 'Name Story' will soon fade away as he grows. His younger brother's name is 'Purooravass'. I can foresee people's reaction when that little fellow starts telling his name. Ha ha..

I used to hate my name for several reasons when I was in school. First of all I thought it was a tough name to pronounce. It was difficult for others to understand as well. Many people hear it as 'by me' or 'buy me' when I say Bhaimi. They ask me 'Why should I buy you?' or 'what is the cost to buy?' to joke on me. When small children call me it becomes 'bahimi aunty' or 'Balumi chechi' and what not!! But the second reason was really a solid reason to hate my name. I was a fat girl. Everybody used to call me Bheemi as they relate the fat Bhimasena in Mahabharata. They found it amusing and I used to get hurt. Many a times I fought with my mother for a name change and she just smiled at me. It was given to me by my grandfather. I hated him also for that reason.

But now I know the value of this name. I just love my name. i have seen people struggling to get e-mail ids by adding all those numerals and special characters like smitha2000_123@soandso.com when I just signup in any site with bhaimi@soandso.com. This unique name gives me recognition in my company and wherever I go. When I make calls to my tailor, beauty parlour or my office receptionist , they dont ask me which Bhaimi is speaking. I enjoy the way different people pronounce my name like Nalini calls me 'Beymi', Mike Jasko and Boomer calls me 'Baaimi' and even my house owner calls me 'Baima'. :)

My husband's name is so common that every third person in a shopping mall or theatre would be Santhosh. We named our son "Devamithran" which is also sort of unique. I don't know when he is going come to fight with me for a name change!

3 comments:

sandy said...

Fantastic ! Just loved it

Anonymous said...

Nice, Bhaimichechi. :)


I always liked to explain my name to people and nowadays it has an added value as it's often one of the questions they never fail to ask me in interviews. I explain away with gusto which helps me start with a good impression. :)

~~~ Raouf.

Sudha Naik said...

:) I remember you explaining me the meaning of your name .. same 24hr hyderabad train journey ..

Remember ??

dear, very good narrative style .. Keep writing ...

Kunju

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers